This blog began when I road in the 2008 Scooter Cannonball Run, a coast to coast endurance event held every two years. I will be riding again in 2010! New Blog Coming Soon!


Monday, September 22, 2008

Day 10 & Race Recap - Home Safe

I rolled into Ocean City on Saturday in one piece. The last 30 miles were nerve racking - I had convinced myself that the scooter would break down. Once I got within 15 miles, I knew I could atleast walk the thing to the ocean, if it took all night.

The DC Scooter Folks were all very nice. They welcomed us across the Potomac River at Whites Ferry. My brother Tim was there to take photos and hold up the tail end of the ride. It was great to see him and also have someone else take pictures! Thank you to the couple who paid Mark & I's Ferry Toll! DC Vespa organized a very scenic 45 mile ride into downtown. Pizza and drinks waiting for us at Vespa of DC. Thanks "Bobo", Jerry and everyone who organized that. The race resumed from the National Arboretum around 4 o'clock.


The finish was fun! Lots of beer waiting for us and supporters of other riders and some locals. The first thing I did was ride my scooter right up onto the boardwalk and take a photo. I had dinner with NASA Mark and Rocket at the steakhouse. Thank you to Mark for picking up dinner! There was an "after party" at the Grand Hotel - it was a bummer to say bye to everyone - what a fun 10 days. Quite an adventure.


I enjoyed my cheese steak at the Buckeye. Mom, Lisa, Matt, T/A, Craig the Buckeye crew were there! After that we gave the Vespa a bath (I've been promising her an ice cream cone if she gets me home for 2500 miles - I suppose a bath will do).


I'm looking forward to getting back to work. Very relaxed, rested and looking forward to working on some new projects that have been set aside for the return. All of my customers were very patient with me being out for essentially three weeks when you add in the wedding (Special thank you to PK, Jon Hinshaw & all of my "daily needs" folks).


Lots of photos and some video somewhere that still needs to be sorted through. I am looking forward to seeing everyone elses shots. I'll repost some of them to mine as well.

I learned that Jerry Reed died while I was gone this morning. Sad! I heard East Bound & Down atleast a few times a day in my 164 song MP3 mix from the GPS. Smokey & The Bandit was/is one of my all time favorite movies as a kid. I was actually forbidden to watch it after awhile. I actually started the race with that song. Sing me out snowman. (cliche I know)

Scooters are definitely not meant to go across the country. It was as much of rider endurance challenge as it was for the scooter. I am looking forward to doing it again in 2010. Hopefully I can convenience a few other friends to come along.

1 comment:

Joel Hamilton said...

It is not a race.

Nice pictures, man. Seriously great.
-Brooklyn Ace

David's Photo Feed - Most Recent Shots