This blog began when I road in the 2008 Scooter Cannonball Run, a coast to coast endurance event held every two years. I will be riding again in 2010! New Blog Coming Soon!


Monday, September 15, 2008

...a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there.'

Today was a good day. Pretty uneventful ride - all down hill. It was freezing cold leaving Salida. In the 20's when I got out to scooter - warmed up to the 30s, low 40s for the first hour or so.

Vespa Canon City was able to sell me a tire, liter of oil, new riding gloves (replace ones I lost in Utah) - and a new pair of winter gloves.

I did manage to lose my rain/touring jacket today. The nasty winds of Kansas worked my side bag open... and out it flew like a kite. I'll get a new one in Wichita tomorrow (hopefully). If I am lucky they can put the tire on - otherwise... I'll be doing it myself in the hotel parking lot tomorrow night. One of the guys has a bead breaker, makes it easier.


Today was 331 miles. Tomorrow is 360 miles. It looks a hell of alot longer on the map - because its completely straight.

The winds are really strong. I am going to shift my clothing bag back over the seat for tomorrow and see if that helps any.

I made a detour on my way into Garden City to see Holcomb and the farm house made famous by Truman Capote in his book "In Cold Blood". I also snapped a photo of the Finney County Courthouse (also described in the book). I was shocked at how small Holcomb was. One or two paved roads at best, the rest dirt. I'd imagine an entire family being killed today would rock that community - much less what happened in 1959.


Tomorrow will be light on the photos. Not alot to take a picture of. Plains, corn... flat lands... few silos.

2 comments:

TA from PA said...

Sorry to hear about your equipment problems. Looking on the bright side you could have encountered the remnants of Hurricane Ike along the way, which really would have been miserable for you. Miss you here in PA, stay safe!

prcrstn8 said...

The photo of the road into Blanding is incredible. That you stopped to take it, even more so.

Best Cannonball blog by far. It's not even close.

David's Photo Feed - Most Recent Shots