This blog began when I road in the 2008 Scooter Cannonball Run, a coast to coast endurance event held every two years. I will be riding again in 2010! New Blog Coming Soon!


Friday, September 19, 2008

One More Day to Go (Sad)

Put the scooter in the hotel room last night. Lost prevention measures.

I road the entire day with the vintage guys, i.e. Rocket and Roy. I had a blast. They were both great guys to ride with. 40 MPH up hill, 50 in the flats, 60 down hill. It only took an hour longer.

If I do 2010 - unless Patrick/Craig/Tim/someone else, comes along and insists I do it on a modern Vespa, I will do it on a vintage. It was actually an enjoyable ride.


We ran into Mark about 70 miles out of the destination. His scooter wasn't running right. A few shots of WD-40 into the carburetor got it moving enough for him to nurse it into Oakland. I made a trip to ACE Hardware and bought him a few inches of ice machine coper tubing - Rolf made a D-Tool out of it to manually adjust the mixture. He is hopefully running smooth for the final day.


I had an excellent dinner tonight with Rob Taylor, his father and Reno Bob. Fillet Oscar, rare, sweet potato, dewers/water, wine and McCallen 12 yr neat for desert. First good steak dinner on this entire trip.

Tomorrow is the last day. Sadly. Not that I am not looking forward to getting home - but it is has been a really interesting and fun adventure. I road with the vintage guys today to stretch it out as long as I could. I know tomorrow will be exciting to be the last day. Tim (brother) is meeting me half way for the picnic in DC at Whites Ferry! We have a break there for lunch from the DC Scooter Club. A ride through DC, the the race starts again to the finish. Tim's brining me a few cigars, couple cans/bottles of Coors Light, so I have them to enjoy once I arrive (knock of wood).


Not alot of photos today. Boring day of riding photo wise. The ride (roads) were fun for the second half of the day. Tomorrow morning is going to be very f*cking cold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fillet Oscar, rare, sweet potato, dewers/water, wine and McCallen 12 yr neat for desert....that is what we call a fancy mans dinner....very fancy

TeaTeaMan said...

Don't be sad Mr.B ! It would be fun and exciting to get to the destination of the '08 SCBR later today; wouldn't it ?
3 cheers to all of the riders and support drivers ! Hip ! Hip ! Hooray ! Hooray ! Hooray !

Roy said...

Hi Dave,

this is Roy. Was great riding the CB with you! Love your pics!!!

Rocket and I made it finally home on Tuesday. My clutch had enough on Monday outside of Toronto, about 40 miles before the place we were goin to drop of our scooters for shipping back to the West Coast.

In case you are planning to ride vintage in 2010, you know who to contact. Rocket can give you advice and help on building a reliable engine. Take care!!!

Roy

David's Photo Feed - Most Recent Shots